7.29.2011

Food/Allergy Update

At Hadley's 6 month appt a few weeks ago, we were planning to do some blood work to test for allergies. It was a whirlwind of a day after having her regular vaccinations and then being sent to do emergency blood work because of a weird rash she had on the bottom of her legs (NOT FUN to watch a nurse find a vein on your baby!). While they drew her blood, they went ahead and drew enough for 2 different tests--an allergy test and an intolerance/sensitivity test. My main objective in doing the testing was to make sure there weren't other foods she had an intolerance to that I didn't already know about. As we've started feeding her food, I've been more fearful about what may or may not bother her. So, we waited a little over a week and landed back at the dr. this past Monday. The Dr. walked in, gave me a you're-not-going to-believe-this-smile and told me what I had a feeling she would--everything was PERFECTLY NORMAL! There wasn't a single number "off". What? Seriously? We weren't expecting the allergies to be present but thought that surely something would appear as an intolerance. My Dr. did say that the intolerances may not show up without the things that she's intolerant to being in my body at this time. So, either she is still sensitive to those things (dairy, soy, and gluten) or she's grown out of it and will be fine moving forward. Regardless, time will tell and now I'll have to make decisions about if I want to add them back in, when, how quickly or how slowly, etc... As we've thought through those decisions this week, I must admit that it's been tempting to just keep doing what I'm doing. With feeling like we've finally hit the cruise control with Hadley, we're definitely not interested in causing any hiccups.... HOWEVER, my diet has been really hard and 4-6 months more of doing that does sound tough. We'll keep you posted on what we decide to do but we will definitely wait a month or so before we add anything back in. We are so, so grateful to be allergy free... I will forever feel compassion for parents who go through what we have endured with our Hadley girl. Hopefully the worst is behind us!

No comments: